Purpose: This curriculum is designed to prepare students for a career as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN). The program will provide instruction to prepare qualified students to meet the health care needs of the community within the scope of practice of practical nursing, as defined by the Virginia Board of Nursing. Graduates of this program earn a Certificate in Practical Nursing and will be academically eligible to take the NCLEX-PN examination.
Mission Statement: The Virginia Western Community College Practical Nursing Program’s mission is to prepare students to provide competency based, empathetic, safe, and effective health care in a culturally diverse society and in a wide variety of health care settings.
Program Objectives: Employment opportunities include nursing homes, hospices, public health and community nursing, medical offices and clinics, and acute and long-term care facilities.
- Utilize the Nursing Process to meet clients’ needs and promote collaborative care.
- Perform nursing interventions (client assessment, skills performance, dosage calculation, medication administration, and client teaching) based on assessed need.
- Explain factors that impact client care (environment, culture, family, and biopsychosocial) across the lifespan.
- Incorporate professional communication skills (verbal, nonverbal, written, and electronic) to promote optimum outcomes.
- Attain academic eligibility to sit for the NCLEX-PN.
5 Year NCLEX-PN Pass Rates:
2014 - 86.36%
2015 - 93.75%
2016 - 100%
2017 - 100%
2018 - 88%
Student Learning Outcomes:
Students will be able to:
- Engage in practices that provide safe and holistic nursing care throughout the lifespan grounded in science and the nursing process. (Safety)
- Apply nursing judgment to ensure the delivery of patient-centered care and promotion of health for patients within a family and community environment. (Patient-Centered Care)
- Demonstrate the use of critical thinking skills while utilizing the nursing process to provide care to patients throughout the lifespan. (Critical Thinking)
- Collaborate effectively within nursing and interdisciplinary healthcare teams to foster open communication, respect, and shared decision making to ensure safe, quality patient care. (Teamwork)
- Demonstrate the use of the best current evidence to guide clinical decision making to provide safe care for patients and families across the lifespan. (Evidence-Based Practice)
- Integrate information and technology to communicate, manage knowledge, and support decision making in the practice of nursing care. (Informatics)
- Utilize concepts related to culture, ethnicity, and spirituality in the delivery of patient care. (Culture)
ENGLISH – Applicants must receive a placement recommendation for ENF 3 or ENG 111 . If this placement is not achieved, applicants must have successfully completed all developmental English requirements.
MATH – Students who do not demonstrate proficiency in MTE 1 , MTE 2 , MTE 3 , MTE 4 , and MTE 5 must have successfully completed all developmental Mathematics requirements.
Admission Requirements: This is a restricted admissions program. Applicants must meet the requirements for admission to credit-level coursework established by the college. Please see the program-specific admission requirements at https://www.virginiawestern.edu/academics/health/practicalnursing/apply.php.
Clinical agencies require that students have background checks and drug screenings completed at the student’s expense before beginning the Program. A positive background check may include fingerprinting and drug screening and may deny a nursing student access to clinical agencies. Clinical facilities have the right to use a different background check than Virginia Western Community College that could affect a student’s ability to participate in clinical experiences. Inability to participate in clinical rotations will disqualify the student from completing the certificate program.
Conviction of a felony, misdemeanor or any offense substantially related to the qualifications, functions and duties of a practical nurse may constitute grounds for not allowing a candidate to take the licensing exam. This decision is made by the State Board of Nursing. For questions regarding this issue, call The Virginia Board of Nursing (804) 367-4515.
All Students must maintain a grade of “C” or better in all program required courses to remain in the program.
Students accepted into the Practical Nursing Program will receive a program handbook during their mandatory orientation prior to beginning the program.
A part-time option for the Practical Nursing Certificate is available beginning in the Fall Semester of even numbered years (2020, 2022, etc.). Please contact Pamela Woody, Health Information Specialist or Rhonda Perdue, Health Professions Advisor at Virginia Western Community College for curriculum details.
Meet all Basic Admission Requirements.
Complete courses transferred with a grade of C or above.
Submit reference from director of nursing school previously attended to verify good standing and clinical competence.
Provide nursing school catalog, course outlines/syllabus, and unit outline as required.
Take any necessary placement tests.
Demonstrate clinical proficiency as required.
NOTE: Transfer credit is only allowed for a nursing course of comparable credit and content to a course in the Practical Nursing Program. Transfer credit is given for a grade of C or above in nursing courses completed in the previous two years. Only courses taken at State Board approved schools are considered for transfer credit. Placement is considered on an individual basis. An applicant who meets all admission requirements is not guaranteed admission to the program. Successful applicants will be notified in November.
Retention Policy: Students must pass each theoretical and clinical nursing course in order to proceed to the next course. Students must maintain a minimum GPA of 2.0 to continue in the program.
This program is approved by the Virginia Board of Nursing.
Board of Nursing Perimeter Center 9960 Mayland Drive, Suite 300 Henrico, Virginia 23233-1463